Identity requirement for Police Check

Documents required 

Minimum identity requirements  

You must provide four documents with your completed form to confirm your identity: 

  • one commencement of identity document to confirm your birth in Australia or arrival in Australia 
  • one primary use in the community document to show the use of your identity in the community. and  
  • two secondary use in the community documents  

Commencement documents 

  1. full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card) 
  2. current Australian passport (not expired) 
  3. Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist * 
  4. ImmiCard issued by Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enroll in services 
  5. certificate of identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia 
  6. document of identity issued by DFAT to Australian citizens or persons who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes 
  7. certificate of evidence of resident status. 

A Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) record may be provided 

Primary documents 

  1. current Australian drivers licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed 
  2. Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted) 
  3. current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa 
  4. current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo 
  5. current shooters or firearms licence showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence) 
  6. for persons under 18 years of age with no other Primary Use in Community Documents, a current student identification card with a signature or photo. 

Secondary documents 

  1. certificate of identity issued by DFAT  
  2. document of identity issued by DFAT  
  3. convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by DFAT  
  4. foreign government issued documents (for example, drivers licence) 
  5. Medicare card 
  6. enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission 
  7. security guard or crowd control photo licence 
  8. evidence of right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs) 
  9. consular photo identity card issued by DFAT  
  10. photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force 
  11. photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force 
  12. photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government 
  13. Aviation Security Identification Card  
  14. Maritime Security Identification card  
  15. credit reference check 
  16. Australian tertiary student photo identity document 
  17. Australian secondary student photo identity document 
  18. certified academic transcript from an Australian university 
  19. trusted referees report 
  20. bank card 
  21. credit card. 


All names under which you have been or are currently known will be included on the nationally coordinated criminal history check.  

Change of name 

If you provide identity documents using a former name, you must provide evidence of your name change. This means providing a change of name certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or an Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory, in addition to your four identity documents. Church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted. 

Leave a Comment